Player Contract Length

Discussion in 'The Professors' started by Rocket, Jan 9, 2017.

1. Rocket

Rocket All-Star

We need to look at this. We have 5 year contracts for players from the first years of the league, but I realized that after they run out, there will be none left. I am open to ideas on how to correct this starting next year.

Let's start spit balling ideas.

2. Clark

Clark 4th Liner

Undrafted FAs should have longer contracts than 2 years IMO. Make those diamonds in the rough 5 year contracts.

This should exclude prospects that graduate and are subsequently bid on.

For example I picked up Alec Martinez as a FA last year. I didnt keep him since his contract was only 2 years, I feel like in the future it would be nice to get a 5 year contract for finding an undrafted guy in the FA pool.

3. Xytras

Xytras Minor Leaguer

Also I can't speak for other managers but at the end of this season I'll have 6 players with expiring contracts. That means that I will have to draft 12 rounds (to replace those 6 plus another 6 to bring my roster to 20 as usual). So as per constitution, those that I draft from round 10 and further, they still will have 5 years term,no?!

4. Clark

Clark 4th Liner

So you're saying you would only keep 8 of the 14 eligible guys still on contracts?

That brings up the next question, do we have to keep 14 players, or can we keep less players like this proposed scenario?

20 players

6 expired contracts

14 players remaining

If you kept those 14 guys you would only draft 6 rounds, unless of course you kept less than 14.

5. danktrees

danktrees Minor Leaguer

we would maybe condense the previous format. instead of top 3 rounds being 2 years in the inaugural draft, if there's typically only 6 rounds in subsequent drafts we do something like:

rounds 1-2 : 2 years
    rounds 3-4: 3 years
    rounds 5-6: 4 years
    rounds 7+: 5 years

that seems like if would be the easiest way to do it. might spice things up with keepers as well. with round 7 and onwards being 5 years you might have people giving up some borderline keepers on lesser contracts to take a shot at drafting new guys on 5 year contracts.

#5 danktrees, Jan 9, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2017
    Xytras and Flames89 like this.
  6. Xytras

Xytras Minor Leaguer

I don't see a reason why we can't keep less than 14 (we can do that with prospects). It wouldn't sit well with me if I MUST keep 14 which will mean I'd have to have 6 players that I added from FA pool at various points during the season, kept dropping and adding again depending on a match ups and scheduling. And some if not all of those maybe I don't want them to be a part of my team for a next season...

7. nxdark

nxdark Minor Leaguer

I like this idea combined with Clarks fa suggestion of 5 year contracts instead of 2.

Clark likes this.
  8. Rocket

Rocket All-Star

You can keep up to 14 players. You do not have to keep 14, but remember, your picks go on the end of the draft after everyone else is completed.

9. Xytras

Xytras Minor Leaguer

That's what I thought. Thanks Rocket!

Rocket likes this.
  10. Flames89

Flames89 4th Liner

Free Agent pick ups shouldn't be 5 years... max 3 I think. If you draft a guy in rounds 7+ that's different than picking a guy up that's lighting up the league stats wise and you were just quicker picking him up. I don't think being fast in the waiver wire should be rewarded with a 5 year contract. The manager is being rewarded already with being "in the know" by being first to pick the player up.

But back to the drafting and yearly contracts.. I like what Dank proposed there.

11. Clark

Clark 4th Liner

Me too.

I would propose:

Rounds 1-2 : 2 years
    Rounds 3-4: 3 years
    Rounds 5-6: 4 years
    Rounds 7+: 5 years
    Free Agent: 5 years

12. nxdark

nxdark Minor Leaguer

There aren't many times where it's a race for a guy who will be a keeper to pick up off of FA. It's more of finding a diamond in the ruff, which I think is far rewarding 5 years for.

13. nxdark

nxdark Minor Leaguer

This has my vote!

14. flubber

flubber 1st Liner

I am good with whatever you guys want to do here . Although some of the details differ, all of the different proposals are workable .

I am kind of on the side that a 5 year contract for a FA might be a bit much . It would certainly REWARD someone that picked up someone at the moment before they exploded .

I definitely think we need an "expiring superstar "exception rule

Example: I own say an expiring Ovie and late e season he gets hurt and will be out for the league playoffs . Since he is expiring anyway, I drop him . The best FAAB bid should not get him for 5 years , right ?

15. flubber

flubber 1st Liner

This is less of a problem than you think . If you have precisely 6 expiries then you will have a roster of 14 from which to select 14 keepers. Sicne you will be unlikely to want everyone you are more likely to have 2-4extra picks

This year it appears that there will be 36 players expiring from the inaugural rounds 1-3 so 6 expiries would be rare unless you traded to pick up a bunch of people . next year there were would be twice as many potential expiries

#15 flubber, Jan 16, 2017 at 2:16 PM
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2017 at 2:22 PM
  16. flubber

flubber 1st Liner

I think it is highly likely there will be more than one team in this situation ( maybe not this year but certainly in future years when a team can have multiper expiries arising from different draft years ) and assume the draft order just continues in round 7 and beyond

#16 flubber, Jan 16, 2017 at 2:17 PM
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2017 at 2:23 PM
  17. Clark

Clark 4th Liner

Contracts don't reset if a player is dropped. Contract remains in place until the contract expires.

Rocket likes this.
  18. danktrees

danktrees Minor Leaguer

he means if he dropped the expiring contract player and picks up another player. he essentially swapped out someone who is useless and got someone else for 5 years.

19. flubber

flubber 1st Liner

well that deals with the superstar just fine but is odd for others .

An inaugural draft pick in the 19th round might get dropped and picked up 8 times over the season . Imagine they are not on a roster at seasons end . If they get drafted then in the 6th round does the contract reset then? I would expect a new draft would superseded the contract from the old one ??

20. Clark

Clark 4th Liner

I see nothing wrong with that, at the end of the day you can only keep 14 players.